Sunday, August 16, 2009

Elvis Presley

Remembering Elvis Presley - 32nd anniversary of his death today.
King of Rock n Roll. Born: 8 Jan 1935 Died: 16 Aug 1977 Age: 42
Something I didnt know about Elvis: he attended the Assembly of God Church when he was young and gospel music became an important part of him throughout his life. He likes to sing and play gospel music. He died in the bathroom, the book he was reading "The Scientific Search for the face of Jesus" laid open at his feet.


Amazing Grace sung by Elvis.



How great art thou - (1972 concert).


Lead me, guide me


Happy Day (Gospel song): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dGVqFPQF8E

+ + +


Christmas songs. - Noel; Silent Night.








The sensitive side of Elvis:
Birthday present to his 4 year old daughter - a poem.

He wanted to give his daughter something precious, priceless and memorable, and got a family friend to compose a poem. He wanted to teach her values. When she brought the poem to him, he cried upon reading it. The 'apron' in the poem reminded Elvis of his grandmother and mother who both taught him values.
Reminds me too when my daughter was young - too young to go out to buy presents, she use to write me poems and make cute cards for my birthdays and mother's day. I still keep those cards, its so precious to me.

The Priceless Gift
Birthdays are always special
as your fourth one comes to you
and I wondered what I’d give you
Just anything wouldn’t do.
I thought of childish treasures
to hang upon your wall
Yet nothing seemed appropriate
or none I could recall.
Money seemed so cold and fleeting
Bought treasures go so fast
And I wanted a gift to please you
And one that would also last.
You know you’re sort of special
You are really all we’ve got
You’re Mama’s bit of heaven
And Daddy’s tiny tot.
I closed my eyes - the years rolled by
And I slowly found my way
To a shadowed corner in the attic
T’was a link to my yesterday.
I raised the lid to a frayed old trunk
And there a priceless treasure lay
A tattered apron with strings still tied
And I knew I heard her say -
“Son, I’m now just a precious memory
But don’t ever forget one thing
I always tried to guide your life
With these worn out apron strings.
They guided a man named Lincoln
As he steered the ship of State
It’s the only gift I gave you
That will never go out of date.
Apron strings changed the course of
History as great men felt their tug
They followed sons onto battle fields
Without the slightest shrug.
They guided both kings and beggars
Through harmony and strife
Son, you surely must have felt their tug
For how God has blessed your life.
I bowed my head and said a prayer
For I knew God had surely touched
A tattered old trunk so tucked away
And an apron that had meant so much.
So Lisa, I give you the “Priceless Gift”
That surpasses all other things
A whole lifetime of love for you
She tied in her apron strings. Daddy

©1971 Janelle McComb
(Note: Lisa Marie's copy is displayed at Graceland).