Sunday, June 14, 2009

Tree frogs

I am very scared of thunderstorms, howling winds, typhoon and heights.

"Its raining cats & dogs" - this means its raining very heavily as the saying goes, you wouldn't see cats and dogs falling. One night it rained a "frog" and it landed on my jasmine plant next to my front door. There was lightning, thunder, the trees were rustling in the howling wind. The sound reminded me of my first encounter with a typhoon.

The small tree frog. Not wanting the frog entering the house and scaring me, I caught it and dumped it into the drain!

Reminiscence: my first typhoon encounter.
The first time ever I set foot on Shanghai in 1988 - there was a typhoon blowing throughout the day. I could hear the howling winds and see trees rustling in the strong wind. The trees look like it could be uprooted anytime. No rain, no lightning but very scary, and its only the 'tail end' of the typhoon. It was such a dreadful omen, not a good welcoming.

Two days earlier while on the flight from KL to Hongkong, our plane lost altitude in the turbulence, bad weather. I could hear the passengers seated at the back screaming. I was scared stiff, and my whole body went limp. My arms and legs was "soft" and I could not hold on to my baby. Had to pass her over to the father while I recover from the shock fearing the plane would crash.
Such dreadful omen was not encouraging to starting life in a new place, but it prepares your mind to face it.

Deja vu: some of my holidays are marred by the unpleasant sight of dead bodies.
In July 2007, on arrival at Shanghai (after 17 years) and leaving the Pudong Airport, saw a bus accident, 2 dead man lying by the roadside with the face bloodied. Yucks! Why must Shanghai be so cruel to me!

In September 1989, in Sabah - Shangri La's Tanjong Aru Beach Resort, Kota Kinabalu.  After checking out while waiting for taxi, saw 2 dead women (drowned), 1 young boy barely alive;  in the compound of the Hotel.  Medics were trying to save them, they managed to get a faint heartbeat in the boy but did not know if he survived.  The two women, his mother and grandmother died while trying to save him in the sea.